Professionals | 12/08/2019

First-round victory

Horn the hero in shoot-out win

1. FC Köln survived two comebacks from SV Wehen Wiesbaden to make it through to the second round of the DFB-Pokal on Sunday evening. Timo Horn saved three penalties in the shoot-out to help FC progress at the BRITA-Arena. The game was level at full-time and after extra-time, before a 2:3 shoot-out win put Achim Beierlorzer’s men into the hat for the second round.

Wehen Wiesbaden and Rüdiger Rehm lined-up in their traditional 4-4-2 formation. He made three alterations from the side that lost 3:2 in Aue. That meant Michel Niemeyer, Marvin Ajani and Phillip Tietz dropped out, with Dominik Franke, Nicklas Shipnoski and Paterson Chato earning a start.

Achim Beierlorzer opted for three new signings in the starting eleven against Wiesbaden. Kingsley Ehizibue, Birger Verstraete and Kingsley Schindler all made their official debuts for 1. FC Köln from the get-go.

FC ahead at the break

As expected, Wiesbaden were keen to make their mark early on in the game and gave FC an early scare. A swift counter attack managed to give Maximilian Dittgen a run into the area, but a superb, last-ditch clearance off the line from Kingsley Ehizibue prevented an early Wehen opener. What followed was an even period where both sides tried to establish some dominance, but failed to do so.

It was a case of deja-vu midway through the first half when Dittgen again broke through, but was again denied by Ehizibue’s goal-line clearance. That was the wake-up call FC needed and they came into the game more and more. That was rewarded in the 39th minute, when Jhon Cordoba nodded home a Florian Kainz cross to finally break the deadlock.

Things got even better for Achim Beierlorzer just before the break. FC had continued to have joy down the right-hand side and their pressure paid dividends just three minutes later. Kingsley Schindler’s cross looked to have been just a tick behind the players in the box, but Kainz adjusted superbly to fire home an excellent acrobatic volley to double the lead.

Wiesbaden fight back

Despite the two goals just before the break, Wiesbaden came out with renewed hope and that was evident from their attacking play at the start of the second half. Jeremias Lorch reduced the deficit after he reacted quickest from Timo Horn’s initial save. The Wiesbaden midfielder then levelled the scores with a long-range effort that caught the right-hand post and flew into the back of the net.

Much like in the first-half, the remainder was characterised by an end-to-end game without any real chances. Any that did arrive, however, were for FC. Simon Terodde’s header and Kingsley Ehizibue’s piledriver from 20 yards both brought out the best in Lukas Watkowiak in the Wehen Wiesbaden goal.

Extra-time isn’t enough

Beierlorzer’s men began and ended the first-half of extra-time as the dominant side with Terodde and Jorge Meré both unable to make the best of some good openings. FC did manage to squeeze ahead again when Louis Schaub, fresh off the bench, hammered home a stunning strike from the edge of the area. That happiness didn’t last long as Daniel Kofi Kyereh looped the ball over Horn in the 118th minute.  

Penalty drama

Then, it was up to the penalty spot. Timo Horn turned into the hero of the evening, as he saved penalties from Gökhan Gül, Michael Guthörl and Daniel Kofi Kyereh. Despite Lukas Katkowiak saving from Anthony Modeste and Jonas Hector, Birger Verstraete managed to keep his cool to send FC into the second round.


SV Wehen Wiesbaden (4-4-2): Watkowiak – Kuhn, Mockenhaupt, Röcker, Franke (Gül 120+1’) – Shipnoski (Guthörl 102’), Mrowca, Lorch, Dittgen (Niemeyer 96’) – Kyereh, Chato (Ajani 90’).

1. FC Köln (4-4-2): Horn – Ehizibue (Bader 111‘), Meré, Czichos, Hector – Schindler (Schaub 101‘), Verstraete, Drexler (Höger 64‘), Kainz – Modeste, Cordoba (Terodde 60‘).

Goals: 0:1, Cordoba 39’. 0:2, Kainz 42’. 1:2, Lorch 53’. 2:2, Lorch 56’. 2:3, Schaub 107’. 3:3, Kyereh 118’.

Penalties: 1:0, Kuhn. 1:1, Terodde. 1:1, Gül saved by Horn. 1:2, Kainz. 1:2, Guthörl saved by Horn. 1:2, Modeste saved by Watkowiak. 1:2, Kyereh saved by Horn. 1:2, Hector saved by Watkowiak. 2:2, Ajani. 2:3, Verstraete.

Referee: Robert Schröder (Hannover).

Bookings: Verstraete (52’), Cordoba (57’), Mockenhaupt (76’), Franke (85’), Lorch (88’), Hector (116’).

Attendance: 8,000 (sold-out).

  • share


Total table
121. FC Union Berlin26
131. FC Köln26
14Hertha BSC26