1. As Friedhelm Funkel and Julian Nagelsmann meet on Tuesday, as the oldest head coach in the Bundesliga takes on the youngest. There are more than 33 years between the two managers. As Funkel was coaching Bayer Uerdingen in the Bundesliga during the 1990-91 season, Julian Nagelsmann was just three years old.
2. After his back operation 48 days ago, Sebastiaan Bornauw was finally able to start for FC once again. The game against Leverkusen was also his 50th game for the club.
3. Four further FC players could reach personal milestones against Leipzig. Jorge Meré, Kingsley Ehizibue, Rafael Czichos and Dominick Drexler are in line to make their 50th Bundesliga appearance.
4. Two FC players have a Leipzig past. Benno Schmitz made 19 appearances between 2016 and 2018, notching up two assists in the process. Julian Krahl, who is yet to make his first-team debut, came through the ranks at Leipzig.
5. The game on Tuesday is the eighth meeting between 1. FC Köln and Leipzig. FC have faced no current Bundesliga team less than Leipzig.
6. Leipzig have taken 23 points from their last 10 games. Their only defeat in that period was against FC Bayern (1:0). No team has taken more points from their previous 10 matches, with only Bayern besting Nagelsmann’s team on goal difference.
7. Through the goalless draw against Hoffenheim, Leipzig moved onto 61 points. Leipzig have never managed a better point total after Matchday 29. They have already won as many games this season (18) as last term.
8. Leipzig could have another point or two, too. Nagelsmann’s side have hit the frame of the goal a staggering 16 times this season, more than any other team.
9. The success this campaign has largely been down to an impressive defensive effort. Leipzig have conceded 23 goals in the Bundesliga, the best record by some way.
10. A large part in that defensive stability has come from their goalkeeper. Peter Gulacsi has kept 14 clean sheets this season. No other goalkeeper has been able to match the Hungarian’s total.
€ 49.99 *